Some of Griffith University’s most outstanding research students have been acknowledged at the Institute for Glycomics Student Scholarships Awards evening.
Awards from the following schemes were presented at the event:
- 2020/2021 Summer Scholarships
- 2021 Glycomics Student Scholarships
2020/2021 Summer Scholarships
The 2020/2021 Summer Scholarships scheme is proudly supported by Community Bank of Paradise Point, Bendigo Bank annually and awards 10 undergraduate students to a 4-week research project over December to February, giving them practical experience in the laboratory under the direction of the Institute’s inspirational research leaders.
This scholarship as an important component that bridges a connection between science and research, to create enthusiasm, expand basic knowledge and challenge thinking.
- d’Artagnan Barnard, supervised by Dr Darren Grice
- Pauline Dizon, supervised by Associate Professor Daniel Kolarich
- Jake Esposito-Leftwich, supervised by Professor Mark von Itzstein AO
- Alex Fulton, supervised by Professor Mark von Itzstein AO
- Yasin Mojtahedin, supervised by Associate Professor Daniel Kolarich
- Jenny Quiatchon, supervised by Professor Yaoqi Zhou
- Forrester Savell, supervised by Dr Darren Grice
- Saran Takemura, supervised by Professor Mark von Itzstein AO and Dr Arun Everest-Dass
- Peter Tennekoon, supervised by Professor Mark von Itzstein AO
- Josh Ting, supervised by Associate Professor Kate Seib
2021 Glycomics Student Scholarships
2021 Sally and Warren von Bibra Student Scholarship
Sally and Warren von Bibra are loyal supporters of the Institute’s research and have generously supported this prestigious Honours Scholarship scheme since 2003.
They are both Honorary Fellows of the Institute for Glycomics and recently, Warren was recognised for his commitment and support and received an Honorary Doctorate of the University.
The 2021 Sally and Warren von Bibra Student Scholarship was awarded to Alex Johnston for her research project, supervised by Dr Milton Kiefel.
2021 Glycomics Circle Student Scholarships
The 2021 Glycomics Circle Student Scholarship awards were presented by Patron of the Glycomics Circle, The Honourable Leneen Forde AC. Every year, members of the Glycomics Circle make a financial contribution to empower the Institute’s women in science through scholarships, grants and research support.
- Allysha Bishop, supervised by Professor Michael Jennings and Dr Lucy Shewell
- Emily Smith, supervised by Associate Professor Kate Seib
- Mercedes Lazarou, supervised by Associate Professor Joe Tiralongo and Dr Darren Grice
2021 Institute for Glycomics Student Scholarship
The Institute for Glycomics Student Scholarship provides support to an outstanding student who is undertaking their honours or master’s program within the Institute for Glycomics.
This prestigious scholarship was awarded to Arjuna Abitbol, for his research project, supervised by Associate Professor Joe Tiralongo.