A Griffith academic and researcher has taken on a lead role at a world-renowned civil engineering journal.
Dr Dominic Ong, a Civil Engineering Senior Lecturer within Griffith’s School of Engineering and Built Environment, was appointed joint Editor-in-Chief of Geotechnical Research.
Geotechnical Research is a journal published by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) via ICE Publishing in the United Kingdom.
Having been appointed to the journal’s Editorial Board five years ago, in which time he contributed editorial pieces and reviewed manuscript submissions, Dr Ong was then short-listed for the role of Editor-in-Chief.
“It is a great honour to be appointed to this role, and it will give Griffith international visibility for its incredible teaching staff and research capabilities,” Dr Ong said.
This appointment also complements his recent elevation of professional membership grade of the Institution of Engineers Australia (EA) and the Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM) to ‘Fellow’, the highest grade in both engineering institutions. This membership grade is Fellow peer-assessed and moderated nationally.
Dr Ong’s role as joint Editor-in-Chief will include:
- setting the theme and direction of the journal;
- improve the ranking of the journal through publication of research articles;
- qualify and maintain the journal’s status in international indexing databases;
- invite researchers to publish in the journal;
- and lead Editorial Board meetings at least four times a year for board members all over the world.
Dr Ong will maintain his role at Griffith while executing his new role as the journal’s joint Editor-in-Chief.