A Griffith academic and researcherhas takenon a lead role at a world-renowned civil engineering journal.
Dr Dominic Ong, a Civil Engineering Senior Lecturer within Griffith’s School of Engineering and Built Environment, was appointedjointEditor-in-Chief of Geotechnical Research.
Geotechnical Research is ajournalpublished by the Institution of Civil Engineers(ICE) via ICE Publishingin the United Kingdom.
Having been appointed to the journal’s Editorial Board five years ago, in which time he contributed editorial pieces and reviewed manuscript submissions, Dr Ong was then short-listed for the role of Editor-in-Chief.
“It is a greathonourto be appointedtothis role, and it will give Griffith international visibility for its incredible teaching staff and research capabilities,” Dr Ong said.
This appointment also complementshisrecent elevation of professional membership grade of the Institution of EngineersAustralia (EA)and the Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM)to‘Fellow’,the highest grade in both engineering institutions. This membershipgrade is Fellow peer-assessed and moderated nationally.
Dr Ong’s role asjointEditor-in-Chief will include:
- setting the theme and direction of the journal;
- improve the ranking of the journal through publication of research articles;
- qualify and maintain the journal’s status in international indexing databases;
- invite researchers to publish in the journal;
- and lead Editorial Board meetings at least four times a year for board members all over the world.
Dr Ong will maintain his role at Griffith while executing his new role as the journal’sjointEditor-in-Chief.