Vice Chancellor Professor Ian O’Connor has delivered his personal message of support to 13 Griffith students who are competing at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.
During a private morning tea at the Gold Coast Campus, Professor O’Connor said he was very proud of their dedication and achievements.
“At Griffith we understand the commitment required to make a national team and we acknowledge your efforts in balancing the rigours of training and selection requirements whilst also studying,” Professor O’Connor said.
“It is truly inspirational to see your efforts rewarded with selection on the Australian team for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.”
Griffith Sports College Manager Duncan Free OAM said it is testament to the University’s support of elite athletes that Griffith has such a large delegation heading to Glasgow.
“Griffith’s status as an elite athlete friendly university and the relationships built between the University and these sportsmen and women is mutually beneficial,” Mr Free said.
“Not only are they great ambassadors for their country, but for Griffith too,” Duncan said. “We wish them all the best of luck and look forward to cheering them on.”
Griffith students competing at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games are;
- Cam McEvoy – Swimming (Bachelor of Science – Advanced Honours);
- Leiston Pickett – Swimming (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Emma McKeon – Swimming (Bachelor of Public Health).
- Chris Wright – Swimming (Bachelor of Environmental Design);
- Taylor McKeown -Swimming (Bachelor of Science);
- Edward McKendry – Swimming (Bachelor of Business);
- Brittany Elmslie – Swimming (Bachelor Business – Hotel, Tourism, Event, Real Estate & Sport)
- Ashleigh Gentle – Triathlon (Bachelor Public Health)
- Hannah Joye -Track and Field (Bachelor Science in Ecology & Conservation Biology)
- Linda Leverton- Track and Field (Bachelor of Business)
- Kelsey Cottrell – Lawn Bowls (Bachelor of Journalism)
- Stanford Kawale – Swimming (Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Commerce – Dbl degree)
- Chloe Hosking – Cycling (Bachelor of Communication)
The 2014 Commonwealth Games will be held in Glasgow from 23 July to 3 August.