Counter-terrorism, international policing and peace building and keeping are just some of the topics to be explored at the ARC Centre of Excellence in Policing and Security conference in Canberra on October 7 and 8.
CEPS Director Professor Simon Bronitt said the conference offered the 150 national and international criminologists and scholars an opportunity to explore the most pressing issues of policing and security.
“The realities of globalisation, the asymmetry of today’s threats and opportunities and the ongoing global technological revolution should all motivate a fresh awareness of the paradigms and practices that inform policing and security,” he said.
“The first decade of the 21st Century has witnessed a significant shift in the relationship between policing and security.
“In the post 9/11 era, security and intelligence agencies have come to play a significant role in law enforcement, including an enhanced domestic role.
“Also both police and military are playing a more important role in post conflict reconstruction overseas, requiring closer cooperation between the ADF and AFP.”
Keynote speaker Ambassador Bill Paterson, Australian Ambassador for Counter-Terrorism, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, will provide the opening address entitled – “The growing role of law enforcement in foreign policy”.
Other speakers include
· Jason P. Hyland, Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of the United States of America, Canberra;
· Ambassador Bill Paterson, Australian Ambassador for Counter-Terrorism, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade;
· Deputy Commissioner Andrew Colvin, Deputy Commissioner Operations, The Australian Federal Police (AFP);
· Deputy Chief Michael P. Downing, Commanding Officer, Counter-Terrorism & Criminal Intelligence Bureau, the Los Angeles Police Department;
· Sidney Jones, International Crisis Group, Jakarta and;
· David Irvine, Director-General of Security, Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
For more information on speakers and the program, visit the conference website at: http://bit.ly/d7GnW5
WHAT: ARC Centre of Excellence in Policing and Security International Conference
WHEN: Thursday, October 7 and Friday, October 8
WHERE: Hyatt Hotel, Canberra